A blog about me, my dog, my boyfriend, and friends and family. But mostly me. And my often hilarious attempts to become domestic.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Sobie the Sober Dog: A Series of Unfortunate Events

Doggy Distress!


Look at my precious baby!


Sobie is my baby boy! I love him so much and he has a special meaning to me and serves as a reminder of a rough patch in my life I went through a few years back. It was the summer of 2009 and I was trying to make some major changes. I thought maybe getting a new puppy would be something fulfilling for me and definitely something to fill up my time and keep myself occupied. I really wanted to find a dog at ASPCA  to adopt because I think it is very important to help save those poor animals there that have been given up on or abandoned. Ugh, it just breaks my heart, especially when animals end up in kill shelters. Luckily ASPCA is a no kill shelter, but that doesn't change the fact that those animals there need extra love! If you are thinking of adopting, please go there first before buying a puppy from a puppy mill or a breeder! Check it out and browse the animals they have available right now! 

Ok, sorry, back to Sobie. Unfortunately when I was ready to get a puppy, the shelter just did not have one that fit with me. They were all way too big, or had some sort of disease that was curable, but would take money I just didn't have at the time. After days of looking, I got on Craigslist and the very first post was for "Tiger". He was only a few months old and belonged to a deaf girl who was commuting to Austin School For The Deaf every day and just did not have time to take care of this precious baby. I jumped on the deal and drove to pick him up immediately! 

Ha! My first look at him I was like what a WEIRD looking dog! Why is his head SO HUGE and his legs SO short? He definitely has a unique look. On the drive home he managed to simultaneously pee and throw up on me. Oh man, what did I get myself into?? The name Tiger didn't stick long and I quickly renamed him something more fitting for the situation I was going through. The rest is history. He has been by my side since then- he even lived in a tree house with me in the mountains of Colorado!

When I moved back to Austin, he stayed at my parents for a little bit since the places I was living didn't ever have yards since I was in the middle of downtown. Up until this point, Sobie had had a pretty lax, spoiled life. I moved into a house over this past summer with a yard and other dogs! I was so excited for him to be able to run around and play and roll in the dirt and just be a dog; but things did not turn out the way I had envisioned. 

Sobie, like any other man, only has one thing on his mind.... and I think you know what that is! He humps EVERYTHING. I mean everything...even the air. It's really weird. So naturally, he was all over  the other 3 dogs. Apparently the feelings weren't mutual and let's just say Sobie got his ass handed to him more than a few times. It got so bad that there were a couple of times I thought I was going to have to take him to get stitches. These dogs were bullying my baby so bad and it broke my heart. He had scabs all over his head and ears and throat and it was making me really nervous. I had to get out of that house to protect my pup.

I moved and now I live alone and I absolutely love it (and so does Sobie)! But now he has developed a strange infection I guess. He scratches to no end. Nothing I do gives him any relief. I thought for a while he may have fleas but after much inspection and many baths I KNOW for a fact he doesn't have a single flea on his body. I finally learned that he has a yeast infection on his skin and the bottoms of his feet. I did a TON of research on this actually really common problem and am trying everything to get it to go away. I am giving him one probiotic Acidophilus caplet a day which promotes healthy digestion. I'm not too sure what that has to do with a skin infection but it was recommended to me and I'm willing to try anything to make him feel better. I also changed his food from some cheap food filled with fillers to Taste of the Wild which is high in protein and made with REAL ingredients. The last thing I am trying is a new shampoo that is specifically created to fight yeast on the skin. 

He actually does really good in the bath!



Please don't judge the TERRIBLE color combination of the bathtub. That was NOT my idea...purple and khaki aren't really my thing haha. Have any of you ever had problems like this with your pets? Any tips? I'm willing to try anything...I feel so awful for him and can't even imagine what it would be like to be itching constantly for a full 2 months!

Thanks for reading the rather long post about my dog...I'm sure there is something more entertaining you could have done for the past 5-10 minutes but I'm glad you spent it with me!
Have a good night!

See ya tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment